Sunday, April 19, 2009

ON TURNING 65 PART II






I turned 45 in 1989. By this time Vera and I had been married for 20 years. My costume was still basically western, but moved on into scrubs at work with colorful printed tops or tie-dye shirt and levis. My permed hair continued and grew longer in the early 90s. The moustache grew progressively whiter like it was growing older rapidly and disappeared in the mid 90s. It was during this time that I started to figure out who I really was and that I didn't actually need a costume. 











By 55 dramatic changes had occurred. We moved to San Clemente to have a home where Vera's parents could live with us. I left Saddleback Pediatrics to join Sea View Pediatrics in Laguna Hills. The moustache disappeared and soon thereafter the hair disappeared also. Moustaches, long hair and tie-dyes were all things that were not permitted in the perfect first son of the Dean (my  Dad) when I was in college at the age when they might normally occur. I had made my statement and could now move on.











Michael A. graduated from Pepperdine and went to Houston to live with Vanessa and on into dental school at UT Houston. Vanessa graduated from Rice and shortly after my 55th birthday, Michael and Sammy became engaged. The following year they were married.










Yosemite was a very important part  of each year for many years in the 90s. I went alone and with several good friends on memorable treks. It remains one of my favorite places I have ever been and I look forward to returning with my grandchildren.


By 60 we had added two more doctors to the family, Vanessa received a PhD. in sport psychology at the University of Tennessee and Michael finished his dental degree and a residency in pediatric dentistry in Houston. December of that year brought another milestone in my life, Spencer Patrick, our first grandchild. 



I have now finished the first 65 years of my life and today is the first day of the rest. As I told the family yesterday, the family that live at my house with me and Vanessa are all the gifts that I will ever need regardless of the years. Two grandsons to see every day, a loving wife of 40 years, a daughter who is a professor at WVU, Michael A. in his pediatric dental practice in Mission Viejo and a dream daughter-in-law are all the gifts any man could hope for. And I have all the memories of all the friends, children and parents who have shared my life in these 65 years.
All I can say is RADICAL!

No comments:

Post a Comment